Friday, June 18, 2010

restless

to follow up on my last blog entry, stomach pains were mental. i think it was a combination of heat, exhaustion, dehydration, and just psyching myself out abt eating fish.

i didn't get to blog about the library of ALexandria. Main stacks library? pshhh has nothing on this place. I don't remember exactly all the details and cool features, but you can check out www.bibalex.org. The architecture of the library is so unique and beautiful. Over 1,400 designers from around the world competed for the design, with a norweigen designer coming out on top. THe roof to the library is designed like the human eye. Eyelids on the inside and lashes on the outside. This drives the rain away from the roof and prevents direct sun rays from entering the library. I love technology that is designed to mimic nature.

Yesterday we switched hotels to the Indiana. It has the illusion of being nicer, but nothing seems to function (well their internet center is pretty good). Our toilet broke on us several times and the shower doesn't get hot. It just drips water from the showerhead. We decided to handwash our dirty clothes and hang them up to dry in our hotel! Getting a head start on all the handwashing we'll be doing in Tanzania.

I had the best falafel of my life yesterday (and trust, i've had plenty!). It cost only one egyptian pound, which equates to like.. 20 cents. It was the perfect size, perfect crispiness, saltiness, and the greens that went in were so fresh and tasty. There was arugula in the greens! I love arugula and it topped off the falafel perfectly. Instead of hummus there was this creamy, cheese sauce? I think it was cheese.. not too overpowering and balanced the falafel. Super good and i will be getting more before i leave!

We went on a cruise on the Nile for dinner last night. Dinner was eh, and we were crammed in a room with hella tourists and romantic setting. AWKWARD. After dinner, we went to the top deck and just enjoyed the warm wind blowing through our hair and scenic view of all the buildings lit up along the shore of the Nile. I felt so calm while we were up there and reassured that everything's ok. It's crazy to think that thousands of years ago these banks were not populated by buildings, but by nature and plants. How crucial the Nile was to people's survival. At the Alexandria, they had a Nilometer to gauge if the Nile would flood or dry out. AND (Not sure if i mentioned this already, but too lazy to read through my posts) All the pyramids are on the west side of the Nile because there's less water there to support life. No cities (except for Memphis) exist on the west side of the Nile because it symbolizes death. I am constantly fascinated by all the culture and history here. Always learning.

We are off to Tanzania tonight! (3:30am our time). I can't explain my excitement. I'm actually more excited now than I was when I left on 6/14. I'm growing tired of Egypt. of the heat, of the dependency on others, of being treated as a tourist, of not being able to trust anyone. I'm ready for Tanzania. I feel like I'll be welcomed with open arms there. (hope so anyway). All the months of preparing, I'm finally ready. And i'm also hella excited to dance!!!!

Speaking of dance, shouts to MS! GOOD LUCK w/ summer stacks auditions and Pride! Seriously, Huan and I are MISSING YOU here! My postcard yesterday from the fam was a picture of us at UB last year. Our team was so small, but strong. Really miss you guys.

Until next time (don't know when that'll be),
<3Vivo

1 comment:

  1. it's been a while since you posted (understandably of course). i hope you are well! <3

    ReplyDelete